Rat poison - bait.
The majority of rat poisons are anti-coagulants. There mode of action is to stop blood from clotting. This leads to death usually within a few days. The time to death will depend on the size of the rat/mouse and the amount of bait eaten as well as the quality of the bait. Some are much more potent than others.
Risk is managed by correct placement and securing the bait so it cannot be accessed by children or non-target mammals.
The bait is not poisonous to insects, and insecticides are not poisonous to rodents.
You will find the products we use here.